January 01, 2012

New Years Musings

Does your family have New Years or New Years Eve traditions? Do you eat blacked-eyed peas, rice and pork chops like we do? Do you go out on New Years Eve or stay home and take a much needed break from the holiday rush? Do you always stay up past midnight, or do you, like my hubby, go to bed early just to protest all the hype? - LOL

For several years I have gotten out all my scrapbook stuff and 'scrapped in' the new year. I had to break that tradition last year since we were preparing to move and all my stuff was hidden away for showing our house. It just didn't make sense to pull it all out. I was looking forward to renewing that tradition yesterday.

I started by pulling out and reorganizing all my papers. Then I was ready to start on a quick paper-craft project then move on to the actual scrapping of pictures and memories. Unfortunately, I learned that scrapbook adhesive doesn't store well long-term and trying to use the old stuff was just an exercise in frustration. I did finish my small project, but didn't move on to pictures.

Would you like to see what I did accomplish?

I took some older paper scraps and calendar stickers, put them on cardstock and made these:

Then I cut a whole stack of these:
All so I could put them in this pretty box (sorry for the bad picture) and make a Blessings Box. When this was first posted at Triple the Scraps back in March it struck a chord in me. I had already been noticing that I had a tendency to rate a day as "bad" if anything not to my liking happened. Why is it so easy to forget the good things when one little annoyance comes along? I have decided to be more intentional in 2012 about looking for and remembering the good in each day. Call it a resolution if you want to. I think it is more about being grateful and positive - more the person God wants me to be. Recording the good in each day in my pretty little box will be a good way to stay focused on those changes. It will also be a way to remind myself just how blessed I am when one of those bad periods comes along, as they do for all of us.




Now I am going to go get some sewing done. I have been working on the Orca Bay Mystery Quilt at Quiltville and Bonnie revealed the final clue today. It is fabulous and I am way behind. There is a button on the left if you want to go check it out.

Oh, one more thing - Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year, Sandi! We have no New Year's Day traditions. Except, I guess, to stay at home on New Year's Eve, eat something easy (this year we had pizza) and then watch a couple of movies and eat popcorn. Eddie usually goes to bed before midnight and I will usually stay up doing this or that but last night we both were in bed watching a movie and fell asleep! I did wake up at midnight though when the neighborhood fireworks went off. Ha, ha. Good luck with your blessing Box, that sounds wonderful. I'll look forward to updates on it and your quilt projects!

    ReplyDelete